Safe Child Thailand was founded in 1982 to enable a group of generous supporters to make a lasting difference in the lives of disadvantaged children in Thailand.
Today, we help thousands of vulnerable children each year including orphans, migrant children and children with disabilities, providing them with access to life-saving services and helping them to realise their basic rights.
- 1971 A desperate, young Thai mother arrived carrying her baby on the doorstep of Pattaya’s new parish priest, Father Ray Brennan. Unable to care for her child, she left the baby in Father Ray’s care. More children soon followed and the Pattaya Orphanage was born.
- 1982 Moved by Father Ray’s selflessness and determined to help the growing number of orphaned and abandoned children in Pattaya, businessman Baron Riccardo Carini established The Pattaya Orphanage Trust in London. The charity began raising funds in the UK to support the work of Father Ray and his expanding orphanage. A group of loyal supporters formed.
- 1991 The Pattaya Orphanage Trust launched its first Child Sponsorship Programme. Child Sponsorship allowed supporters to directly help a child at the Pattaya Orphange providing them with a safe home, education, healthcare and the hope of a brighter future.
- 2002 Over the years Father Ray’s orphanage had grown from a shack housing 61 children to a fully-fledged foundation. By 2002 facilities included a high-quality Vocational School for People with Disabilities, a School for the Blind, a School for the Deaf and a Day Care Centre.
- 2005 The Pattaya Orphanage Trust began supporting children directly affected by the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami.
- 2007 The Pattaya Orphanage Trust expanded its work to support two homes for orphaned and abandoned children affected by HIV and AIDS in Rayong and Nong Khai Provinces.
- 2008 The Pattaya Orphanage Trust became Thai Children’s Trust. The charity started working with Burmese refugees and migrant children on the Thai-Myanmar border.
- 2014 The launch of our Junior Sponsorship Programme encouraged children in the UK and Ireland to make a difference to vulnerable children in Thailand.
- 2017 Thai Children’s Trust adopted an improved Vision and Mission, reflecting growing work within areas relating to migrant children, family and community empowerment and the prevention of child trafficking. At the core of all the projects we support is the key aim to keep children safe - protecting them from danger and providing them with opportunities. With this in mind the charity was renamed to Safe Child Thailand.
Over the past 35 years our supporters have changed the lives of thousands of children in Thailand. By partnering with bold local partners driven by our shared commitment to the safeguarding and empowerment of vulnerable children, we intend to continue to be there for more children than ever before.